Daily Post Image from Upsplash

May: 01



Nothing says a great start of the day than having Rust issues that you have to resolve! We got two major issues with our database command:

  1. kbve Crate

error[E0277]: the trait bound `diesel::sql_types::Json: Deserialize<'_>` is not satisfied
  --> src/models.rs:93:5
93 |     pub items: Json,
   |     ^^^ the trait `Deserialize<'_>` is not implemented for `diesel::sql_types::Json`

  1. erust Crate
error[E0412]: cannot find type `Json` in this scope
  --> src/state/dbmodels.rs:84:16
84 |     pub items: Json,
   |                ^^^^ not found in this scope

We are testing these with these commands:

cargo publish -p kbve --dry-run

For the kbve crate, it looks like we were missing a serde_json feature, but let me commit this and run the test again.

Next, just to be safe, remember to run a cargo check.

Okay! Instead of messing around with the serde_json directly, I am going to just pass use serde_json::{ Value as Json}; as the Json representation for that model and move forward.

Finally we have the erust issue, which we need to resolve!

So we know that after we create the erust models using the shell script, we need a way to patch it.

            sed -i 's/(Queryable, Debug)/(serde::Deserialize, serde::Serialize, Default, Debug, Clone, PartialEq)/g' ../erust/src/state/dbmodels.rs
            echo "Patching the DBModels"

We can use this method below, to patch the dbmodels.rs

            { head -n 4 src/models.rs; echo 'use diesel::prelude::*;'; echo 'use serde_json::{ Value as Json};'; echo 'use serde::{ Serialize, Deserialize};'; tail -n +5 src/models.rs; } > src/temp_models.rs && mv src/temp_models.rs src/models.rs

We need to insert the rust code below into the ../erust/src/state/dbmodels.rs

use serde_json::{ Value as Json};

Okay! Here is what we can do using grep,

grep -q 'use serde_json::' "../erust/src/state/dbmodels.rs" || sed -i '5 a use serde_json::{Value as Json};' "../erust/src/state/dbmodels.rs"
echo "Patching Part 2 of the DBModels"

This should patch the dbmodels to use Json without having any issues, both seem to run fine with dry runs as well.

While we wait for that to build up and move along the pipeline, we can focus on the register method once more for KBVE.


The register function will require updates on both the client and server side! Oh boy, this is going to be another one of those days.

We need to change the error system on the register function within the KBVE API. The older error system needs to be replaced with the x-kbve shield style, so we can capture the error headers outside of the rust application too. Oh, I need to also include a in the CORS policy for the application.

As we wait for the branch to pull into production, we can start updating the next couple functions during this build phase, hmm while I cook myself some beans.

return spellbook_error!(

Above is the older rust code, which works fine but we need to sort out the return json, so the client-side code can easily figure out what is going on.

      let mut headers = axum::http::HeaderMap::new();

			let header_name = axum::http::header::HeaderName
      let header_value = axum::http::HeaderValue
				::from_str(&format!("shield_{}", "email_exists"))

			headers.insert(header_name, header_value);

			return (
				Json(WizardResponse {
					data: serde_json::json!({"status": "error"}),
					message: serde_json::json!({"error": "email_exists"}),

This is now the updated rust code, which sends back a header with the error code and displays the error within the message. I suppose we could just send the data back with the error code because the status error could be handled via the StatusCode but I am thinking that there might be edge cases in the future where we need the data to hold additional information and the message to be for the end-user.

The great part of n8n is that we can also no-code some temporary routes to help us with test casing and those edge cases. I am currently writing an automation that would generate an invoice through n8n without using the Rust API, this gives us the flexibility to move fast without having to break the Rust API.


  • 8:00am - My new alarm for the morning is this Electric Speed song and it has to be the best song to get you up out of bed. Do not use it for anything but as your alarm, so you can Pavlov yourself out of bed.
  • 10:00am - Got ready, did a couple set of squats and pushups, now about to venture into the main city and do some site seeing.
  • 12:15pm - After a couple hours of walking around and getting into the flow, now I am about to sit at my favorite cafe , jam out and do some programming sessions.
  • 1:00pm - Restructuring the media section of the knowledge garden and will start to include content that I found to be interesting and entertaining. One of my future plans was to summarize podcasts into short 3-5min DOC LOFI songs but that is definitely later down the line as the AI-generated music scene is still a bit rough.
  • 3:00pm - Took a quick break and toured around an university art show but they would not allow photographs, which makes sense because the artwork could is copyrighted.
  • 4:00pm - Came back to the cafe and now looking through the flutter docs and need to sync the kbve.com repo with my online IDE. I am looking over flutter again and I might need to take a break from Astro and update the Flutter application to the latest before launching. Let me begin the quest of fluttering my brain cells into a cyclone of psychological fallacies.


To follow, without halt, one aim: There is the secret of success. — Anna Pavlova


  • [ ]